Pages

Monday, March 2, 2015

Oh this? I just whipped it up...


Oh this? I just whipped it up…”  You know those people that make entertaining seem so easy?  I try to be one of those people, but I’m too honest.  I want to share all of the details, decisions, and processes that allowed me to get to party time.  I see dessert as an opportunity to put an exclamation point on the evening! We recently started a small group with some friends from church.  We meet once a month after all the kids go down and the host provides drinks and dessert.  We plan to meet on Thursdays.  This means  hosting after a long day at home with the kids and/or at work.  Getting the house ready for hosting and putting something on the table can be daunting, even if it’s as simple as a drink and a bite of dessert. Here are a couple of my favorite simple go-to desserts.

Individual Ice Cream Sandwiches: I bake two dozen chocolate chip cookies and pick up a pint of Neapolitan ice cream.  The Neapolitan ice cream allows you to make vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate ice cream cookies.  It gives the guest a choice! To fix, grab one of the cookies, add two spoonsful of ice cream, and layer on the second cookie.  Use the spoon to fix the edge of the ice cream to make it look nicer.  Wrap the sandwich tightly in saran wrap and place in the freezer until you’re ready to serve. Put these over a bowl of ice and pass out amongst party goers. These are quick and easy.

Fudge Pie:  I love serving fudge pie with ice cream anytime of the year! Nothing says tasty like fudge pie with peppermint ice cream.  Definitely a crowd favorite!  If you’re here in Nashville you can pick up a fudge pie at Martins BBQ Joint on Belmont or you can make your very own using this recipe that my friend Laura shared with me.

Laura's Chocolate Chess Pie 

* 2 sticks of blue bonnet margarine
* 3 squares of unsweetened baker's chocolate (in the orange box in the baking section)
* 2 cups of sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 tablespoon of vanilla
* pinch of salt
* 2 regular pillsbury pie crusts (try to get regular and not deep dish)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Completely melt the butter and chocolate squares together on a lower heat on the stovetop.  Remove from stove and add the sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt.  Divide evenly between two pie crusts and cook for approximately 40 - 45 minutes... perhaps a little more or a little less depending on your oven.  Super easy and so good!  I have also made multiple little ones for parties if you can find the mini pie crusts (obviously cooking time would be much less if you do these individual ones) I make these before work when I’m planning to serve in the evening.  The best thing about this recipe is that it makes two pies at once and is super easy! 

Individual Cupcake Servings:  I read about this recipe on Style Blueprint and it’s a foolproof dessert to cap off a summer dinner!  I recently purchased twelve of these Weck Jars to have handy for entertaining.  They can be used for sauces, garnishes, individual sides, etc.  The sky’s the limit with these guys.  For the cupcake dessert, I picked up twelve strawberry cupcakes from a local bakery.  Vanilla cupcakes will work as well.  Place some strawberry jelly on the bottom of the Weck Jar. Then, place the cupcake on top of the jelly (wrapper removed).  Top the cupcake with some whip cream, and snap the jar lid back into place.  Keep this dessert in the fridge until you’re ready to serve! 


No comments:

Post a Comment