Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Carrot Cake!


I hope the weather where you are was as good as it was here in Nashville yesterday.  It was gorgeous! To celebrate, I decided to do a spring themed Sunday Supper complete with shrimp and grits and other recipes from Southern Living and Food and Wine Magazines (more on that tomorrow).  
Today I want to tell you about the dessert.  It's the most important part, right?  It’s the reason I stayed in on Saturday night.  The crème de la crème.   Carrot Cake.  Years ago, I used to eat like a bird.  I had a workout regimen that was second to none.  During that time, my sister met her future husband, Tim.  One Thanksgiving, I decided to make a Weight Watchers Pumpkin Cheesecake so I could enjoy Thanksgiving and have my dessert too.  To this day, my brother-in-law cannot talk about the pumpkin cheesecake without laughing. Literal tears streaming down his face. In his defense, it tasted like cardboard.  Well, I've come a long way. Yesterday I decided to test out the Southern Living Ultimate Carrot Cake featured in this month's issue.  The candied carrot curls were simple and a nice added touch.  I would love to show you the perfect pictures from the perfect process but let's be honest, this is what my kitchen looked like. 

I have always loved Carrot Cake and thought this was the perfect dessert to kick off the spring season.  One word of caution:  this cake is not for the faint of heart.  There is grating, and more grating.  And just when you thought you were done, you grate some more.  My friends suggested next time I start with pre-shredded carrots.  Now they tell me.  I served this carrot cake tonight and for the first time, and I beamed with pride. I’m not a baker, but I baked.  And it was delicious.  Southern Living will never let you down but you must decide, are you in?  I urge you, commit yourself, the end result will be worth it. Have fun! Enjoy the results.  




1 comment:

  1. Ugh now I really want carrot cake! Looks amazing, marge! You know how Lauren likes to suggest things when she comes to visit? Add carrot cake to my request next time I come to Nash ;)

    ReplyDelete