Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Go Big or Go...Tiny?


We just finished up an addition/remodel and couldn't be happier with the new space. We spent our first 3 years of marriage in a relatively, by today's standards, tiny small home. Two bedrooms. One bathroom. 900 square feet. We decided we needed more space as we look to the next phase of our lives. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with living in 900 square feet and we were able to do more than just make it work!  Our society is conditioned to think bigger is better (except when it comes to waist size).  I’ve recently started watching the show Tiny House Nation and wonder, could I go back to living in a tiny(ish) house? It’s interesting how many things we grow accustomed to and “have to have.” There is something so liberating about living in a small house as you only have what you need.  There is no space for the unnecessary.  The other part of me wonders why we lose that ‘tiny house’ mentality when we move into a bigger space.  What makes us think we always need more stuff Do you think you could do it?  Could you move into a ‘tiny’ house? 

Thinking about it? Here are some tips to get you started designing your small space! Check out these tiny houses for more inspiration.






8 comments:

  1. I think they are just precious! I wish I could say I could do it, but just not sure. I totally agree with the "have to have" and growin accustomed to certain things. As we look at new houses, I "have to have" a garage- something that so many of my friends live without and survive! Just something we are used to now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Rikki! It's funny how quickly I forgot life before a dishwasher!

      Delete
  2. I love this post.. I also live in a tiny house and ask myself all the time " do I need this or do I have space for this" Small fries are the new McMansions... just saying

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. recommendation: show before and after pics of your reno!

    ReplyDelete