Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Trash or Treasure?



Y’all, I love a deal. I also love unique pieces that tell a story.  I believe to create the most enjoyable spaces, there should to be a good blend of old and new.  The key to mastering this blend is to always have your head on a swivel. Tip:  Tell your friends what you want/need so they can also be on the lookout for that perfect piece.  As people look to renovate, remodel, or just update their homes, they get rid of their old stuff.  Some great resources include a neighborhood list serve, estate sales in your area, a garage sale, or a good old-fashioned side of the road pick up. I write this post today to encourage you to think outside the box! Someone’s trash could be your treasure. 

My friend Margaret who lives in Charleston also has a great eye and loves a deal. When I visited Margaret I fell in love with these chairs found right on the side of the road. 

And this bar cart, she also found on the side of the road, three streets over. Margaret uses this as a portable office that can quickly be transformed for a party!



Our house is filled with statement pieces that took some imagination.  The door to the powder bath in our house was a grab out of a neighbor’s dumpster.  The classic 5-panel door was in pretty rough shape when we found it.  Several layers of peeling paint, and rusted hardware.  We had it dipped (a process that strips previous paint and stains) for a raw wood finish and removed the old hardware.  We decided to hang it as a ‘barn door’ for both aesthetic and functional reasons.  And, voila! Looks and works great.  



The piece above the doors on our screened porch was originally in the master bath of my mom’s new home.  When my mom went to redo her bathrooms they removed this from the window.  It was white and had some wear and tear on it. I insisted it go home with me. 


Craig painted it bright red and told me that he found the perfect place for the piece.  I am thrilled with how it turned out.  I love how it resembles a transom from an older home, adding a personal touch to a newer build.And, it only cost us a couple of cans of spray paint! 


Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot to be said about investing in statement pieces and we have those too.  But it’s the mix that allows you to create a home that tells your story.  Keep your head on a swivel and get out there and dig up some trash treasure!

2 comments:

  1. i absolutely LOVE your vision...i never would have wanted that white thing from your moms bathroom, but what you did with it is amazing. I love the red and the placement of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this feature!

    ReplyDelete